Can My Employer Change My Contract While on Furlough

As an employee who has been furloughed, you may be wondering whether your employer can change your contract during this time. The answer depends on a number of factors, including the terms of your contract, the reason for the furlough, and the laws in your jurisdiction.

First and foremost, it`s important to remember that furlough is a temporary measure, and your employment contract remains in effect during this time. Your employer cannot unilaterally change the terms of your contract without your consent. However, if your contract contains a clause allowing your employer to make changes during a period of furlough, you may be bound by those changes.

If your employer wants to make changes to your contract during a furlough period, they must consult with you and obtain your agreement beforehand. This is known as a variation agreement, and it must be in writing. If you don`t agree to the proposed changes, your employer cannot implement them.

In some cases, your employer may use the furlough period as an opportunity to restructure their business or make other changes that affect your role. In this scenario, you may be asked to sign a new contract with different terms and conditions. However, your employer cannot force you to sign a new contract, and you should seek legal advice if you have any concerns about the proposed changes.

It`s worth noting that the furlough scheme is designed to support businesses that have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. If your employer is using this scheme to make changes to your contract that are not related to the pandemic, they may be in breach of their obligations as a furloughed employer. You should raise any concerns you have with your employer or seek legal advice if necessary.

In conclusion, your employer cannot change your employment contract without your consent, even during a period of furlough. If they want to make changes to your contract, they must consult with you and obtain your agreement in writing. If you have any concerns about proposed changes, seek legal advice to ensure your rights are protected.